What Is Radon and Why Is It Bad?
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from uranium in the soil. Although it exists in trace amounts all over the world, it can cause significant health problems if you happen to have a high concentration of it in your home. It’s dangerous because you can’t smell, see, or taste radon.
As a result, you may never know your home has a problem until it harms you and your family. Our professionals at Synergy Home encourage all homeowners to test radon levels in Lexington KY and to let us help you with remediation steps if your home exceeds the recommended radon levels.
What Are the Dangers of Radon?
According to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Office of the Surgeon General, radon causes roughly 20,000 deaths due to lung cancer annually. As a result, more than $2 billion per year is spent on related health-care treatments. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States after smoking.
In addition, children are at greater risk because they are still growing and developing, have different-sized and -shaped lungs, and breathe faster than adults, reports the Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry.
What Are the Chances You Have Too High of a Radon Exposure?
According to the American Cancer Society, the most likely way you are exposed to radon is inhaling it in your home or workplace. Radon levels vary depending on the location of your home or business. In one EPA study spanning seven states and three Indiana reservations, nearly one-third of all homes exceeded the EPA’s recommended maximum radon level of 4 picocuries per liter (pCi/L). Other state surveys, including those conducted here in STATE, show that one out of every five homes have elevated radon levels.
Individuals who work in confined, underground areas, such as the basement levels of buildings or in mines, may be at higher risk. In some cases, radon can leach into groundwater, and you can be exposed by ingesting it as well. However, this is significantly less of a concern than inhaled radon gas.
How Can You Minimize Your Risk?
The best way to reduce your risk of radon exposure is to do a radon test. Since you can’t detect radon with your senses, and it can take years to develop adverse health symptoms, the only way you can protect your family from this carcinogenic gas is by testing. But we definitely recommend testing since Central Kentucky is a radon hot zone, and as many as one out of every three homes have radon in this area.
You can conduct a simple short-term radon test yourself by buying a kit at any home-improvement store. The tests usually run for two to 90 days. These kits are typically used in the lowest level of your home where you spend time, which may include a basement play area or rec room, or may be the first floor of your house. If you find elevated levels with a short-term test, you may want to run a long-term test, which takes longer than 90 days.
If you have radon levels above 4 pCi/L, you will want to contact us to help you mitigate your radon as soon as possible. Radon levels change over time, so be sure to retest at least once every three years, when you remodel your home, or if you change your heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system.
Call Us Today
Our certified technicians at Synergy Home in Lexington, KY, have experience with radon testing as well as with providing radon mitigation services. We’d be happy to help conduct a radon test, recommend a testing kit, or work with you to remediate any discovered radon problems in your home. Call us at 859-687-0553 or contact us online!